The first meeting of Stamford’s Gathering Space Exploratory Group was
held on March 27 at 6 pm in the school. Those present had expressed
their interest at the March 5 Town Meeting. The eleven people in
attendance decided the group’s name should be the Stamford Building
Community Committee. The next meeting of the SBCC will be on Tuesday,
April 10 at 6 pm in the school. All are welcome!
While formal minutes were not kept, careful notes were taken for this
brainstorming session. The central ideas presented were as follows:
- Two main gathering space ideas emerged from the discussion: A
visible (possibly gazebo-like, village green-type) structure visible
from Main Road; and a larger structure which could be used as an outdoor
classroom and as a place for bigger community events.
- An outdoor gathering space could be used as a central meeting
location for town events such as a 5k run, a July 4 barbecue, and Green
UP Day. The structure could be decorated for holidays and used as an
informal meeting spot for residents.
- Students could use the space for various projects.
- If a visible-from-Main-Road structure is made available to
townspeople, they will think of many ways to use the space. The
structure would help present Stamford as a vibrant community to
- It was decided that input from more people to further explore
possible uses and locations for the structure would be helpful.
Come one, come all!
For more information, please contact Pat Sullivan firstname.lastname@example.org