is one of the oldest towns in Vermont, chartered in 1753 by Benning
Wentworth, Governor of New Hampshire. It is possible that it was named
after Governor Wentworth's friend, the Earl of Stamford of Stamford,
England. For a short time, the town was called New Stamford.
BRIEF HISTORY OF STAMFORD Excerpts from articles written in 1993 by the Stamford Historical Society
and Anthony Coniglio for the Sesquicentennial Edition of The Transcript
is stated in the book, "Vermont the Land of Green Mountains," issued by
the Vermont Bureau of Publicity in 1913, that "The Hoosac Range of
mountains lies on the east and the Taconic Range of mountains on the
west of Stamford, like natural fortification" A dome-shaped elevation
east of the village is called Allen's Peak - local legend tells that a
man by the name of Allen hid in a cave on this peak so he wouldn't have
to fight in the Revolutionary War. Every generation of young people
since that time has tried to find the cave. Perhaps the next generation
will be luckier!
to an article published in 1860 in the Heminway Gazetteer, "The first
settler in town is reported to have been a man named Raymond who built
his cabin against a large rock, giving him the name 'Rock Raymond'."
Some of the first settlers came to Stamford from Connecticut and
eastern Massachusetts. The Millard family history tells us that the
family drove their oxen and their belongings from Rehobeth, MA, which
had become "too crowded" and that Squire had '4his cattle shod so that
they could keep their footing on the icy ground and set out toward the
northwest, following the beds of creeks." They finally settled in a hut
on the North Branch of the Hoosac River in Stamford, eventually
building several family homes still standing in the village today.
The information, documents, images, and text of this Website are provided for the convenience and reference of the residents of, or those having business with, the Town of Stamford, Vt. The purpose of this website is to provide timely access to information from the Office of the Town Clerk; every effort is made to keep such information accurate and as up-to-date as possible. Documents and related information published on this site could include accidental inaccuracies or typographic errors. The Town of Stamford provides the information and services on this Website without guarantee, warranty or representation of any kind. Use of this Website is at the sole risk of the user, the official printed documents maintained at the Town Office will take precedence. While documents and information provided on this website should be identical to that located at the Office of the Town Clerk, it would be best to verify all information before taking any action. Under no circumstances will the Town of Stamford be liable for any damages arising out of the use or inability to use this website, including but not limited to, computer failure or malfunction, loss of business, data, goodwill, or revenue.
Copyrightę Town of Stamford, Vt 2009 All Rights Reserved
986 Main Road · Stamford, Vt · 05352 ¦ (802)694-1361