Stamford is one of the oldest towns in Vermont, having originally been created as a New Hampshire grant in 1753. The French and Indian Wars prevented settlement in the area until 1764, but by 1791, 48 families – a total of 279 people – lived in Stamford. Many of these people moved from eastern Massachusetts and Connecticut, following the river valleys and eventually settling along the North Branch of the Hoosic. The first framed house was built off East Road in 1782. Two of the earliest settlers were Polly and Silas Blood, who moved to Stamford in 1799.